Tuesday, October 28, 2008

New Focus for PGO Project

For the rest of my PGO project I'll be focusing on adding PGO to Thunderbird. So my first task is to build Thunderbird. Since I'll be building and testing a lot I have scripts to automate this task for me. I just tweaked my scripts to now build for Thunderbird.

Bash Script Problems
I don't know why but when I tried to create a bash script from scratch it would behave as if it executed, as in no bash could find command error, but nothing would happen. I could get any output. So I copied an existing working script and modified it. Works for me.

Next Steps
Now that I can build Thunderbird I am going to try and replicate the Mozilla tinderbox setup for Thunderbird on my home machine so I can duplicate the performance testing environment. Once I have a baseline of how Thunderbird performs on my machine I can then start enabling PGO and see what kind of performance boost I get.

After that I would have lots of opportunities for other Seneca students to contribute by compiling and running the tests on their machines to see if they are also seeing a performance gain.

So now to get to it.....

No comments: