Friday, October 17, 2008

0.1 Release - Firefox PGO

0.1 Release is done.

I have learned:

How to implement PGO on any application.
How to turn PGO on and off for modules in Firefox.
That profiling firefox anymore than opening and closing the browser doesn't yeild better performance.
How to run xpcshell, mochitest, and reftests on a Firefox build.
How to create bash scripts to build firefox and create reports from the build output.
How to reproduce the sqlite bug as report in this bug.
How to attach my results of test to a bug.
That sqlite crashes even in a stand alone application when compiled with PGO.
That I am going to turn my focus to Thunderbird and turn on PGO for Windows/Linux/Mac.

0.1 Release more detailed look

Experience
I have found myself frustrated, upset, surprised and excited as I work my way into the Mozilla Community. I am asking questions more openly, more willing to look dumb in the hopes of getting the information I need. I always search first, of course.

It really takes time to get a feel for how Mozilla does things. I just recently discovered that the trunk has all these readme's scattered everywhere. Probably the first place to look for help.

I still find the Mozilla wiki's and documentation to be lacking for someone who is not as experienced as the folks at Mozilla. I tell my wife that "it's documentation written for people who already know it". I find I have to research and look stuff up to understand what I read on Mozilla.

Now that I have my feet wet I am excited to push forward.

No comments: