Saturday, October 11, 2008

Review of PGO Data

45% increase not a result of PGO profiling of Google Maps.

I used build Firefox with only profiling of a page opening and then closing to check it against the loading times for Google Maps.

I re-ran all the tests and here is the summary of the results:



Firefox 3.0.3


Minefield PGO *


Minefield PGO **




2.15s (avg)


1.18s (avg)


1.17s (avg)




* Profiled using the Google Maps website.
** Profiled with only the browser opening then closing.

I also saved the Google Maps page on to my local server and when the pages were served from a local server the load times were all identical.

Serving Google Maps locally resulted in non of the javascript files Google Map uses being saved since they are loaded dynamically.

I have to conclude from this second performance test that minefield has some performance improvements not seen in Firefox 3.0.3 since the profiling did not improve Google Maps site loading.

No comments: