Thursday, December 4, 2008

Optimizing the Thunderbird Address Book.

I did a quick edit for the Makefile.in file for the address book in the Thunderbird source. I was hoping this would enable pgo for this module.

Here is the diff for the changes I made.

I was able to successfully build thunderbird with these options but during the profiling no optimization data was collected. If data is collected a .pgc file is created. This library is added into the mail.dll so a mail.pgc file should have been created. None was.

I haven't looked at my build output to confirm that the library and mail.dll were compiled with the optimizations. I did notice that mail.dll library was compiled with the instrumental option. This means the mail.dll had the extra instructions to collect profile data. It is possible that my profiling did not actual affect the address book.

I hope to get some more information before my 0.3 is released.

No comments: